Friday 13 April 2012

DD2000: International Contemporary Artists Book Fair

About a month ago a friend and I went to Leeds to visit a book fair that was taking place, the International Contemporary Artists Book Fair. It was the first time I'd been to Leeds since I went for a uni interview two years ago, and even then I didn't see much of the city.

Anyway, after a fairly long train ride, we found the building itself, filled with masses of different trinkets, artist books, etc. I very rarely get to go to events like this, so I stayed for quite a while. On my trip around the two adjacent halls, I picked up a number of business cards, and bought some interesting stuff, such as...


These two lovely cards, by Ruth Viqueira (http://ruthviqueira.blogspot.co.uk/) depict a whale and a narwhal. Considering the simple nature of the way the illustrations are depicted, the detail is remarkable, with what I can assume are waves framing the animals. Very impressed. I imagine I'll end up putting these in frames of some sort, because no way am I writing in these and sending them out to people. They're too nice. :)

Wandering around the two halls, we found a stall for UCLAN, next to one for Cafe Royal Books run by Craig, our tutor. I do like the stuff under Cafe Royal Books, there's a certain sort of curious air about it, like the books developed from found reels of film in old cameras. The one book I purchased from this stall, and one I have seen many times both in physical form, and somewhere as obscure as an American's Tumblr page, is Belly by Julia Pott.



The book is filled with stills of what is apparently a short film, and from what I can gather, it is about a character named Oscar, in numerous surreal scenes involving whales, beaches, bull-like creatures, etc. It looks fantastically weird, I have to see this short, especially since I'm looking into using more animation in my work.



The final thing I bought from the book fair is a small pamphlet-like book with 5 images of varying medium, of a woman with a mask of a lamb. The book is by A.G Magee (http://agmagee.tumblr.com/), on which a lamb-faced woman seems to be a recurring theme.

All in all, it was a lovely day out, and if such a book fair is ever set up again, I'll be sure to go along, and maybe even make something for it. I hear there's one in Glasgow soon, so we'll have to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment