Tuesday 2 August 2011

David Bailey of FLESH and BONE

Whilst out in Manchester the other night, I stumbled across this small bar in Northern Quarter.

The Common Bar.

As you can see, the walls are decorated with black and white sequential art, derived from work by illustrator David Bailey.

The comic strip series, named after titular main characters Flesh and Bone, began in 2008, and was framed on the walls alongside some of Bailey's other work, which can be seen at his website, http://www.davidbaileyillustration.com/

On this site, you will find that Bailey's work relies party on portraiture, but also indulges in typical doodle-like work, which to me, is reminiscent of a lot of media during the late 60s-early 70s. A good example would be some of The Beatles' promotional work, and the Yellow Submarine.
I for one admire the aestheticism of Bailey's work; it is completely versatile and in terms of graphic design, very bold and minimal, yet it retains character and is very full of life.

I visited a few bars that night, most of which had small exhibitions on. If memory serves me correctly, most of them were open during the day. I'll head out to them when I get the chance and blog about them here.
And as for personal work, it is definitely coming. Things have been quite slow here lately, but I'm gradually getting back on track.

Until next time, I'll post the link here, and farewell.

http://fleshandbonespot.blogspot.com/

Oh and also!

Does anyone out there know how to integrate SWF files into Blogspot? I'm thinking of putting up an animation I produced for uni a few months back (anyone who is in the same class as me should know which one that was.

I've also been thinking of doing some more animation. I don't know what with, when, or what, but I'll try, for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment